[WEB4LIB] RE: Photos on Home Pages

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Wed Dec 12 15:09:30 EST 2001

It didn't sound to me like Karen was blaming anyone (except perhaps various
software vendors?).  What she was pointing out was the need for web page
authors to have a more solid education than a familiarity with
Photoshop/Fireworks/GoLive/Dreamweaver/FrontPage.

I cannot tell you how many times I've had to fix web sites created by
off-campus vendors who call themselves designers because they have a copy
of some fancy web authoring software.  They all too often make very basic
mistakes -- and have difficulty troubleshooting their errors -- simply
because they lack an understanding of HTML, client-server architecture
and/or the diversity of our users' computing environments.

So, what's the upside?  Job security, I suppose.  :)

-kb