[WEB4LIB] RE: Photos on Home Pages

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed Dec 12 12:14:04 EST 2001

I just want everyone to be clear that you do not need Javascript to
have a random image appear on a web page -- any CGI script can do
that, even if the page where the random image appears is static (not
generated by a script). What Javascript is commonly used to
accomplish (as in this case) is to have images *cycle* on a page as
you sit on it. I'm not sure why one would want to do this, since the
premise appears to be that users sit there like idiots staring at the
web page, waiting for the image to change. Otherwise, they're off
actually using your site before the image has a chance to change. In
fact, if they're not, you have much bigger problems on your hands
than cycling an image.
Roy