[WEB4LIB] Re: [Fwd: Norton expired - case #33533]

D.S.P. Popeck dspp at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 16:51:37 EST 2001

> For my personal copy, that subscription fee was $3.95/year, which did not
> strike me as particularly burdensome--after all, they're spending serious
> money keeping up with viri and improving detection methods. Of course, the
> institutional price may be a lot higher...(I wouldn't know.)

FYI: Norton has stopped live update support for Norton 2000 and earlier. One
can go to the Symantec site and download the update. Many Gates users shoudl be
patched up sufficiently to appear to be NAV 2001 to Live Update. The new
subscription scheme will be $20 per year unless what I read was inaccurate. We
used NAV in the past so we knew about the yearly fees. What is worse in our
view is that the support for plugins and even NT itself is dwindling. For
example, the newest Windows Media Player does not support NT. To update
drivers, you'll need to log in as exec, play the video that doesn't work and
then wait for your version of WMP (probably 6.4) to download the needed codecs.
The codecs will be available in other profiles after that procedure. In other
words, there is a lot that they don't tell you. To be fair, tech support is
good and sometimes even sympathetic. It would have nice to have been given an
OS that they weren't abandoning.

An aside - Any Gates PC library tech that wants to join up for an information
exchange or to perhaps set up a mailing list should just email me.

DSP Popeck
Madison Library
Lakewood, Ohio USA