[WEB4LIB] cable modems for public internet PCs

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Dec 28 10:21:36 EST 2001

Tracey,

I guess a lot of the answers depend on how this is going to be
implemented.  Some questions I would have are:

1) What is your current connection? What is the bandwith it provides?

2) How are you going to utilize the cable connection?  How many PCs will
be using it?

3) What is the current state of your networking infrastructure?

Right off hand, it seems to me that many of your current issues could be
addressed through separating your staff and public networks. With a router
and a firewall, there's no reason that the staff and public computers
couldn't run on physically separate networks while still sharing the same
connection out to the Internet.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library