cable modems for public internet PCs

Reed, Tracey treed at clearwater-fl.com
Fri Dec 28 10:09:42 EST 2001

Hi y'all!  Happy New Year!

We're considering going to cable modems for our public Internet PCs.  The
City IT department is anxious to do this, but I can see pros and cons to it.

The concerns we have - off the tops of our heads - are subscription database
access, filtering potential, networking for printing & sign-up, bandwidth
setup for multiple PCs, and flexibility for a temporary location while our
new Main Library is being built.

The benefit we can see is getting the PCs on a separate connection than the
staff PCs which is currently a big security, bandwidth and cabling
nightmare.

Has anyone done this?  Can anyone see other concerns or benefits that we're
missing.

TIA -

-tracey

Tracey Reed
Webmaster/Systems Analyst
Clearwater Public Library System, Clearwater, FL.
treed at clearwater-fl.com