[WEB4LIB] Re: Using Dreamweaver

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Mon Dec 17 17:10:14 EST 2001

DON'T DO IT!!!! We tested this on my library's server, and I found out
later that the School of Dentistry here had run a similar test at about
the same time and encountered similar problems. Those were:

1) Dreamweaver would lock files on the server, and then not unlock them.
2) There were erratic problems reconciling the master files on the local
network server with the files on the web server.
3) Templates did not propagate as desired.

The latter was actually our biggest problem. After one of my staff spent
two days trying to make a change to a template and have it propagate
through our site, I decided to stop using Dreamweaver and switch to Server
Side Includes. I have never regretted this decision. When I make a change
to a template which is based on server side includes, the change is
instantly reflected throughout the entire site, as soon as the page is
reloaded. And I mean *instantly*. Wonderful ...

Pat Anderson, University of Michigan, Dentistry Library, pfa at umich.edu