oops, corrected Google Numbers

gary price gprice at gwu.edu
Tue Dec 11 17:01:33 EST 2001

Oops, I was a bit quick on the send button and failed to place a few 0's in
the right places. Here are the corrected Google number claims.

Google Index = 3 billion documents.
Over 2 billion web pages (html, pdf, other formats)
>From the announcement, "25 percent of which are non-English language web
pages."
700 million Usenet posts
300 million images.

Sorry for the error.

Btw, don't get me wrong Google is one impressive tool. The folks at the
Googleplex are always improving the product.

Nevertheless, Google does not contain everything.

Two simple examples.
As of today such pages as the "official" bio of the postmaster general and
the GSA home page with contact info for FirstGov are not directly
searchable/accessible via Google.

Examples:
http://new.usps.com/cgi-bin/uspsbv/scripts/content.jsp?B=-10462&D=10748
(Bio of Postmaster, USA)
http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/content/orgs_content.jsp?contentOID=115069&content
Type=1005   (Office of First Gov)

Cheers,
gary

Looking for More News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu