[WEB4LIB] Re: Library Web Page Use

Craighton Hippenhammer CHHammer at olivet.edu
Tue Dec 11 10:06:24 EST 2001

We have Blackboard V5.5.1, Level 2, which includes the Course Management System plus the Portal.  Level 2 adds the portal which makes much of the customizing possible.  The "dialog boxes" I mentioned are really Custom Modules which come with the Portal.  Many schools are only carrying Level 1.

Craighton Hippenhammer
Information Technology Librarian
Olivet Nazarene University
chhammer at olivet.edu

>>> Jennifer Heise <jahb at Lehigh.EDU> 12/11/01 08:16AM >>>

> As of August, 2001, we went live with Blackboard for all the professors, and quite a >number used it, including me.  At the same time, our university intranet home page was >changed to the Blackboard login page.  All during the summer I worked closely with the >Blackboard administrator and was able to make the library's presence very much visible, >something I feel very good about. Top in the "ONU Resources" dialog box is the link to the >library home page, followed by links to the library databases page, online catalog, the >eReserve page, and library proxy (off-campus access) page.  In addition, I made the library >an official university "organization" as Blackboard defines it, where we have eReference >capability (chat, discussion board, email).

Which version of Blackboard is your institution using? Our version
doesn't seem to be nearly that customizeable, and they threatened us
with a lawsuit if we edited the code to introduce new elements...

--
/   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Lehigh Univ. Information
Resources
  / Phone (610) 758-3072          Email: jahb at lehigh.edu

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard