[WEB4LIB] Non-A.D.A. compliant software woes (Docutek)

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Dec 10 18:30:28 EST 2001

This is the biggest complaint I have with vast numbers of web pages
from libraries, businesses, and organizations.  Webpage designers and
creators continue to think in print terms and try to force a web page
into those constraints.  I have limited vision and have to have larger
fonts to be able to do my job.  When web pages are insistent on
sticking me with 8 point Times New Roman I'll simply go elsewhere.

Realistically, ADA isn't being widely enforced, at least on the web.
In local cases, such as one involving a restaurant in your example,
there is a local code enforcement official and an obviously
disadvantaged taxpayer in a wheelchair.  This is the stuff that makes
great newspaper or TV news copy if the code enforcement isn't there,
or sometimes even if it is.

When I'm dealing with a distant website from a distant company (that
may not even be aware of what some contract designer has done to or
for them), my chances of resolution are very small.

However, when you're buying a product, particularly if it is for a
government supported institution, you can insist that it be compliant
with ADA.  Of course if you buy it anyway, then it may become your
problem more than the vendors.

Good luck

dan

SP> When specific point sizes for fonts are used Netscape and Internet
SP> Explorer
SP> will NOT increase the font size through the normal menu commands of
View ->> Increase Font in Netscape, or
View ->> Text Size -> Largest in Internet Explorer

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA