[WEB4LIB] checking link content

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Mon Dec 10 11:57:02 EST 2001

> I've been thinking about all the sites that have been, for lack
> of a better
> word, hijacked by the adult entertainment industry.  As I've read in a
> couple of places recently, it's not enough (was it ever?) to
> check that your
> links GO somewhere, but also that they are still actually the
> site you think
> they are.

Just a quick story. My book "Using the Internet as a Reference Tool" had a
link to WebMolecules. A site that displayed, for free, 3d molecular
structures. Quite cool. Well, a reader in Idaho informed me last week that
http://www.webmolecules.com is now a porn site. I've removed the link from
the book's Web site, but it won't be removed from the book itself 'till the
next printing...  Oh well.

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers/
WWW Library Directory @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.
Stop those X10 ads 'till 2009 - click on
http://www.x10.com/home/optout.cgi?DAY=3000