[WEB4LIB] Re: New Member also Mac vs. PC

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Mon Aug 20 10:07:38 EDT 2001

Nancy Sosna Bohm wrote:

> And please excuse my ignorance, but were these real or cartoon librarians
> knitting thermals for "fairy penguins" ??!!?

    Either way, Linus Torvalds would be proud. :)

> Now to the "also Mac vs. PC" subject:
> I will be starting a new job in a week that includes Web design/redesign for
> a smaller college library. There is currently a Mac on the desk where I will
> work, but I have been told that I can swap it for a PC if I like (which I
> don't particularly "like," but which I intimately know). The Web site is on
> a Mac server. As someone who is pretty adaptible, would it be better to
> start off in a new job environment with the Mac (with which I have a passing
> acquaintance) or to get the familiar PC?

    You know what I'd try? Tell them you want the PC, but tell them you also
want to keep the Mac. Explaiin that this is not a bad idea since you're used to
working with the PC, but understand that the web server is housed on a Mac.
Since you could do your coding and design on a PC and since you're going to have
to export it to a Mac to test it anyway... Why not have the ability to do so
while sitting at your desk? That way, you maintain access to BOTH computers and
you're able to take advantage of each of their strengths. I'm a hardcore PC
user, but I also know that few things come close to a Mac when it comes to
graphic design and layout.

Just a thought,
Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
-------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                     -Hunter S. Thompson