[WEB4LIB] local history online

ABIGAIL ELDER aelder at mail.open.org
Wed Aug 15 18:46:43 EDT 2001

Salem Public Library (Salem, Oregon, USA) has placed 8000+ photographs of Oregon history online at http://photos.salemhistory.org  Last year, the collection was reorganized using CONTENT (http://contentdm.com), a software product developed at the University of Washington for managing media archives, including sound and video, which we are not using.

The majority of photos in our collection were donated to the library by a local news photographer upon his death. All rights to these photographs were transferred to the library. We have the originals, and make them available for reprinting.
Other photographs were provided by the local newspaper and the county historical society.  We do not physically have these photographs.

One advantage of CONTENT is that it is easy enough for volunteers to use. There are different levels of access, so the administrator has the chance to double-check work before it is sent to the site.  A volunteer has made this project his full-time vocation, and is responsible for all aspects of the project. We dread the day he decides to retire from us!

Good luck!

Abigail Elder, Reference Librarian
Salem Public Library
Salem, Oregon
www.salemlibrary.org
aelder at open.org

>>> "Jenny Paradiso" <jennyp at wtcc.sa.gov.au> 08/14 9:33 PM >>>
Hi All,

Are there any libraries out there who provide online, searchable access to local history resources (eg. photos, oral histories)?

If so, could you please post the url of your site?

How do you provide access to the resources?  For example, are you using your library web catalogue to enable online access, or do you have a separate database?

Who is responsible for maintaining and adding to the online local history collection?

Does the collection belong to the library or a local historical society?

Thanks in advance,

Jenny.

Jenny Paradiso
Librarian, Information Technology

West Torrens Libraries
Brooker Terrace
HILTON  SA  5033
Ph: (08) 8416 6255
Fax: (08) 8234 5170
email: jparadis at wtcc.sa.gov.au

West Torrens Libraries - Learn, Grow and Enjoy