(Update Week 24) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Wed Aug 15 12:00:08 EDT 2001

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk Update Week 24
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

8/15/01
Hello from Washington D.C.
I am travelling to San Francisco on tomorrow so this weeks update is a day
early. Next week we will have more details about the move to Free Pint. Btw,
you can expect the same type of news and new resource listings once we make
the move. (:
------
REMEMBER,
this email update is *ONLY A SAMPLE* of what you’ll find on the actual weblog
site.
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

The weblog page is updated daily.
Links to the Archives on the left side of the page.
---------
If you have any questions or comments, just drop me a note.

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu
----------------
p.s. Feel free to forward this e-mail or share the weblog url with others.

Weekly Highlights #24
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
-----

Wednesday, August 15, 2001
Congressional Research Service
Selected New or Recently Updated Reports from the Congressional Research
Service

Entertainment Industry
Invisible Web
New Searchable Database: whoRepresents?Com
-----

Tuesday, August 14, 2001
Web Search
Source: Wired.Com
"Searching for Google's Successor"

Libraries
Source: National Library of Australia
>From Digitisation to Virtual Reality: Is Global Knowledge a Blessing or a
Threat?
----

Monday, August 13, 2001
Web Search--Google
Source: San Jose Mercury News
"New CEO Arrives During Good Times for Google"

Web Search--Excite
Source: netimperative.com
Excite U.K. Adds GoTo.com Pay-Per-Click Content

Full-Text Resource Shelf
Census 2000--United States
Diversity--United States
Mapping Census 2000: The Geography of U.S. Diversity
Over 100 pages of .pdf color maps.
----

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk

Sunday, August 12, 2001
Maps--Worldwide
Numerous Maps and Lists from the United Nations
High quality map material from the Cartographic Section of the U.N. that is
worthy of your attention. All of these resources are free to access and print.

Scientific Publishing--Fee-Based Services
Coming This October: Faculty of 1000

Full-Text Resource Shelf
Human Cloning
Material from the 8/7/2001 National Academy of Sciences Meeting, "Scientific
and Medical Aspects of Human Cloning"
----

Saturday, August 11, 2001
Fee-Based Resources
Source: Library Journal
The Librarian As Entrepreneur: Peter McCracken of Serial Solutions
----

Friday, August 10, 2001
Fast Facts
Ready Reference
Factbox, Fast Fact Lists From Reuters

Full-Text Resource Shelf
Stem Cell Research
Source: Congressional Research Service
Stem Cell Research (RL31015)
Note: This Congressional Research Service report (14 pages .pdf) was updated
on 7/26/2001
-
Internet--Australia
Digital Divide--Australia
Source: Parliamentary Library (Australia)
A Digital Divide in Rural and Regional Australia?
----

Thursday, August 9, 2001
XML
Northern Light Adds "Special Edition" Devoted To XML
A great compilation of resources along with predefined "live" search queries.

Full-Text Resource Shelf
Environment--Rivers--United States
Source: American Heritage Rivers
American Heritage Rivers Progress Report
----

Wednesday, August 15, 2001
Web Directories--Government Information
Meta-Subject Index to Government Information
----
----
Weekly Highlights #24
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu