[WEB4LIB] Floppy disks in the Library

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Wed Aug 1 11:01:47 EDT 2001

Several years ago at A&M in Laredo, we had units with 5.25" drives.  Ever so
often a person would take the ProQuest image CD out of its case (we tried
glue later) and put it in a floppy drive.  I got good at putting a piece of
plastic tape on a ruler and using it to pull the CD out.  Often they were
damaged beyond reuse.  And we had little signs on the drives.

I once asked a person who had done that (my attitude mush have shown)
because she got quite angry.  "That is exactly how I put a CD in my car's
player."  My lesson was that people have a reason for what ever they do -
however strange it may seem to you.  If you can learn that reason, it is
easier to change their behavior.

Regards,

Gary

Gary E. Masters