[WEB4LIB] Floppy disks in the Library

Phillip B. Whitford pwhitford at braswell-library.org
Wed Aug 1 10:28:16 EDT 2001

At our public library we allow patrons to bring in floppies and we also sell
them.  We occasionally have problems with stuck disks or the disk shutters
coming off in the drives.  Our public staff don't try and dig the disks out
of a machine and we don't allow patrons to do it either for fear of further
damage. Instead an out of order sign is put on the PC and the IS staff fixes
the problem.  Unusually it's done while the patron is still here and they
can usually copy the data off the damaged disk to a new one if the patron
wants.

It's not a major problem for us.  Finding that little spring that comes off
with the shutter is usually the hardest part.  Occasionally we have had to
replace floppy drives but new ones are cheap and most of our replacement
drives are cannibalized from scrapped computers anyway.

Phillip B. Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library
344 Falls Rd, Rocky Mount, NC 27804
252-442-1951
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Braswell Library