(Update Week 22) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Aug 2 12:24:27 EDT 2001

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk Update Week 22
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

8/2/01
Hello from Washington D.C.

Let’s make it another week of less talk and more resources and news.
Enjoy!

REMEMBER,
this email update is *ONLY A SAMPLE* of what you’ll find on the actual weblog
site. http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

The weblog is updated daily.
Also, note the links to the Archives on the left side of the page.
---------
If you have any questions or comments, just drop me a note.

Cheers,
gary
gprice at gwu.edu
----------------

p.s  Thank you  for continuing to share the weblog url with others. I
appreciate the help!
-----
-------
--------
Weekly Highlights #22
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

------
Thursday, August 2, 2001
Current Awareness Tools
Online News—Aggregation Tools
Resource of the Week: NewsNow
Those of you who like Moreover as an aggregator of breaking news links will
want to visit and bookmark NewsNow, another U.K. based resource.
NewsNow compiles information from hundreds of well-know news sources from
around the world.

Resource Shelf
Online Retail--Canada--Statistics
Source: RetailInteractiva.Ca
Canadian Online Buying Activity
Education
New Material From ERIC Clearinghouses
Community College Abstracts
"...from the ERIC Clearinghouse for Community Colleges (ERIC/JC) provides an
opportunity for users to view new abstracts that have been processed by
ERIC/JC but don't appear in the ERIC Database yet. Abstracts are accessible
through this system until they are available in the ERIC Database."
----
Child Care FAQ's From the National Child Care Information Center
Child Care FAQs
This adjunct ERIC Clearinghouse, has added new content to the FAQ section of
the site. New FAQ's include: Average Number of Children in Child Care and
Child Care Workforce Salaries.

----
Wednesday, August 1, 2001
U.S. Congress--FY 2002 Appropriations
A Handy Compilation from THOMAS
A "scoreboard" with links to the appropriate documents as they move through
the U.S. Congress.

CUSIP Numbers
Business Research--Invisible Web
New: CUSIP Lookup Database
A free service that requires registration. However, the registration is fast
and simple.
See Also: What is a CUSIP

Full-Text Document Shelf
R&D
Several New Statistical Reports from the National Science Foundation

----
Tuesday, July 31, 2001
Web Search--AltaVista
Source: News.Com
"AltaVista: In Search of a Turning Point"
Jim Hu provides gives the goings on at AltaVista a thorough review. From the
article, "Rivals such as Google have stepped up to challenge AltaVista's
position as the search technology leader, innovating new ways to find relevant
search results that cut through the growing clutter of the Web. Facing
declining revenues, AltaVista has also begun to experiment with aggressive
advertising strategies pioneered by rival GoTo.com, drawing charges from
consumer groups that its search results are now up for sale to the highest
bidder."

Scholarly Publishing
Full-Text Books Online
"California Digital Library and University of California Press Collaborate to
Deliver Scholarly Books Online"
FREE Access to 60 University of California Press books now available via the
CDL eScholarship initiative.
Direct to the Free Full-Text Content

Search Industry--Northern Light
Search Industry--Yahoo
Northern Light and Yahoo Form Strategic Alliance

----
Monday, July 30, 2001

The Web As a Research Tool
Source: Library Journal
REGISTRATION Required (Free) To Access Full-Text
Could Librarians' Help Have Prevented Hopkins Tragedy?

Library Catalogs--United Kingdom
Feasibility Study For A United Kingdom Union Catalog Now Available on the Web.

Full-Text Resource Shelf
Source: U.S. Census
Census Brief: Congressional Apportionment
8 pages .pdf

-----
Sunday, July 29, 2001
E-Books
Source: Sacramento Bee
E-books Open New Chapter for Libraries

----
Saturday, July 28, 2001
New or Recently Updated Research Reports (Full-Text)

7 New Reports
>From the House of Commons Library (United Kingdom)
AND

----
Friday, July 27, 2001
Digitization Projects--Journals
"JSTOR's Journal-Archiving Service Makes Fans of Librarians and Scholars"

E-Libraries--Commercial Viability
Source: News.Com
"Reading Online Libraries"
Gartner analyst, Marti Harris, offers a commentary about the future prospects
of commercial e-library services. From the column, "Gartner believes that
success in distributing to students content normally published by university
and academic publishers--and the large-scale penetration of the e-learner
market--requires a formal, contractual relationship with libraries. Selling
pages at 25 cents to individuals and without contracted membership fees does
not seem a good way to ensure long-term business viability."

Public Libraries
The Future of the Public Library
Note: The entire program can be heard online using RealAudio. The program
aired July 18th on "The Connection" (WBUR, Boston). From the summary,
"...public libraries are fighting back, reinventing themselves by reaching out
to their communities and becoming places where people can log on, check out,
listen in and speak up

Global Brands--Lists and Rankings
Source: Business Week
The Best Global Brands
Direct to Top 100 Most Valuable Brands (.pdf chart)

----
Thursday, July 26, 2001
New Database
Chemical Safety--Worldwide
International Program On Chemical Safety-INCHEM
>From the news release, "The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO)
today announced that thousands of chemical safety documents are now available
free on the Internet - a development which will help countries to fulfil UN
environment goals.

END
Weekly Highlights #22
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu