Prospero and Ariel 3.0

Eric Schnell schnell.9 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 17 16:12:22 EDT 2001

      This is in response to many the emails I have already received since
we announced the availability of Prospero version 1.38 earlier today... THE
COLOR COMPRESSION ISSUE IS NOT JUST A PROSPERO ISSUE! NLM IS ALSO HAVING
PROBLEMS WITH DOCMORPH.  We created version 1.38 to handle the compression
problem. So far with version 1.38 things have worked good locally.

      Ariel 1.38 indeed DOES handle the Ariel 3 color documents by alerting
you it can not process them. Previous version of Prospero cannot identify
the color files and WILL crash.

     We received *our* copy of Ariel 3.0 this past Wednesday.  We were
*unsuccessful* in our attempt to obtain a beta version to insure no
problems would exist.

         Also be aware of the fact that even compressed, Ariel 3.0 color
files are still quite large. Our ILL staff has been directed to use color
only when having color is essential to the content.

     PLEASE alert us to any other issues with Ariel 3.0 and Prospero 1.38
that you may have...

Thanks

Eric Schnell
Assistant Professor