Prospero 1.38 Released

Eric Schnell schnell.9 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 17 10:35:55 EDT 2001

    Sorry for the duplicate messages.....

    Prospero is a Web-based document delivery system designed as a
complement  to the Ariel ® software system.

     Ariel is a product of the Research Libraries Group (RLG) which allows
libraries to use the Internet to exchange documents through interlibrary
loan. Version 3.0 of Ariel contains support for color scanning using the
new JPEG 7 TIFF compression standard.

      Prospero, as well as NLM's DOCMORPH and other conversion programs,
are unable to process these documents.  We have been working with RLG on
the issue but have not been able to resolve it with them.

      Unfortunately, previous versions of Prospero will crash unexpectedly
if a Ariel file using JPEG7 is processed.  Version 1.38 of Prospero
identifies these documents before they are process and provides a warning
that it is unable to process. Once we unravel the JPEG7 standard we will be
including support for it in future versions.

  Download Prospero 1.38 at:

  http://bones.med.ohio-state.edu/prospero/

Eric Schnell
Assistant Professor
Head, Information Technology Services
Prior Health Sciences Library
The Ohio State University
schnell.9 at osu.edu / 614-292-4870
http://bones.med.ohio-state.edu/eric.html

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people
sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing
wild animals as librarians."   --Monty Python's Flying Circus