"personal" firewalls

Larry Scritchfield lscritch at netscape.net
Thu Aug 30 19:34:52 EDT 2001

I would like to hear from libraries that are running "personal" firewalls -
products like Black ICE Defender or Zone Labs' ZoneAlarm - on public-access
computers. I have checked the archives and there doesn't seem to be
any discussion of this there.

My inquiry is prompted by concerns from our county IT staff has expressed
over perceived security compromises of the library rolling out a
Windows-based interface to our Dynix catalog (PAC for Windows). We won't
be able to use the same NT group-based security model as we use for our public Internet stations now.

(And to answer a question of Thomas Dowling's from some weeks ago
concerning Dynix Java WebPAC and Netscape 6.x: Of course the vendor,
epixtech, has some responsibility to ensure the product works with
common browsers. My impression is they're fleeing from Java and putting
efforts into "next-generation" products.)

Larry Scritchfield
lscritch at mail.co.washoe.nv.us
Internet Services Librarian                             (775) 327-8349
Washoe County Library System                      www.washoe.lib.nv.us