[WEB4LIB] RE: Mailto vs. forms

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Aug 23 12:41:21 EDT 2001

Changing all our feedback links from mailto to using a Cold Fusion email form was one of the first things we did when we started using CF.  In addition, when we conduct a Web Forms class for campus affiliates that teaches them how to create a form, we teach them how to create a simple form processing template using Cold Fusion.  We have to explain to them the differences between the two functions, as well as the advantages & disadvantages, so most seem to accept using CF with some assistance from us.

We stress to these new Web developers the same disadvantages of using mailto that have been expressed here, and more:
1) Lock-down of mail clients on public computers
2) Many users do not have or use their browser's mail function
3) The prevelance of shared computers on this campus means that the email function may not be set up properly
4) Lack of any confirmation

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> <Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org> 8/23/01 11:29:19 AM >>>

Re Jerry Kuntz' question on using email forms rather than mailto:

I think email forms _should_ be considered best practice.

In addition to Sarah Graham's excellent answer, I'll note another problem
with mailto, for some of us at least:

It brings up the email client preferred by the browser. You can change that
but...well, for example, I don't have an email client as such. RLG uses
Wylbur Mail (part of a telnet connection) and Notes Mail (which has its own
"client"); AT&T Worldnet email uses its own email "client." I avoid
Outlook/Outlook Express for security and sanity reasons (but of course I
also have fulltime Norton scanning...)

When there's an email form and I'm mildly interested in commenting, I'll
comment.

If it's a mailto: and I notice (or if I don't notice and Outlook Express
opens up), I'll only comment if it's really vital (by closing Outlook,
opening Wylbur or Notes, and copying in the mailto: address.).

So, for people like me, mailto: is a way of cutting down feedback. I think
email forms are much friendlier.

[Eureka uses an email form via its Feedback icon. Notes that my personal
Web site, and that of Cites & Insights, don't have clickable mail links at
all will be disregarded as merely pointing out personal incongruity, which
I don't deny.]

Walt Crawford, senior analyst, RLG
Entirely my own opinions, of course.