[WEB4LIB] keywords

rich at richardwiggins.com rich at richardwiggins.com
Wed Aug 29 12:50:02 EDT 2001

Is the commercial company RealNames or one of their affiliates?  Their Internet Keywords product has been out for years now, and their keywords are part of the search algorithm IE goes through when you type a random word into the Address box.  Lots of search portals have deals with 'em. There's a press release from the company on August 15 that talks about MSN paid position advancement under Keywords Plus.

http://www.realnames.com/Virtual.asp?page=Eng_Corporate_PressRelease_081501

In the past RealNames has pushed Internet Keywords as a sort of parallel add-on to the Domain Name System.  In the last couple of years they've sounded as if they see it as a more primary finding mechanism, to some extent replacing the DNS, or at least hiding URLs from end users. They've set up their own global network of Internet Keywords registries and registrars, seeking marketing channels in every country.

They did make their tools open source in 1999, and they did participate in an IETF working group on Common Name Resolution Protocol (cnrp).  A draft spec came out in June:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cnrp-10.txt

It's hard to sort out whether this all is a Good Thing or not.  I personally do not object to paid hit list insertions as long as they are identified, but a tie-in that works with IE and paid insertions on MSN while pretending to be open to the world is a little worrisome.

/rich