[WEB4LIB] RE: Why eBooks and When?

Terence K. Huwe thuwe at library.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 28 16:37:40 EDT 2001

There was a good comment on the value of non-linear narratives a few
messages back.  In general, I enjoy checking out the various forays into a
new, non-linear genres that are underway.  I agree that the introduction of
non-linear story telling is a good thing, and it will probably boost the
ebook platform.

However, I doubt that the pleasures of non-linear storytelling will replace
the pleasures of linear storytelling (e.g., the novel).  The novel as a
genre works for many people.  Even though it forces the reader to follow
events on the author's terms, this is a powerful means for introducing
readers to other states of consciousness or life experiences--i.e., it's a
genre that continues to work.  Perhaps ebooks as a new platform for reading
requires the development of readers' sensibilities to non-linear
storytelling, including some set of expectations for what that would be
like as an entertainment experience.  Terry Huwe