[WEB4LIB] Internet Explorer 6

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at mail.vicnet.net.au
Tue Aug 28 09:40:44 EDT 2001

Quoting Andrew Mutch <amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us>:

> Here are some "enlightening" comments from MS regarding IE 6:
>
> Q.  Is Internet Explorer committed to implementing standard X in the
> future?
>
> A.  Microsoft is committed to implementing the Internet standards that
> make
> sense to allow our customers to build great solutions. As standards
> emerge,
> we evaluate them to see which standards might best serve our
> customers'
> needs.

the current newspeak version of their philosophy. nothing has changed here.
Basically they'll do whatever they wnat.

> Q.  Will Internet Explorer 6 provide cross-platform support?
>
> A.  There are no plans at this time for versions of Internet Explorer 6
> on
> operating systems other than Windows.

no surprise here

> Q.  What are the details of downlevel support for Internet Explorer 6?
>
> A.  Internet Explorer 6 is supported on Windows 98 and Windows 98
> Second
> Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
> Internet
> Explorer 6 is NOT supported on Windows 95.

nothing new here ... also some features of IE6 using newer technologies may not
work properly on older browsers, something we saw with the introduction of IE5
on win95 and winNT4

also i wonder how long before winNT4 and win98 are no longer supported by
Microosft, shouldn't be that far away.

what some of us are waiting to see is wether the new version of IE will update
usp10.dll, or wether we'll have to use winXP to get teh new langauge technologyy
features.

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/evaluation/faq/default.asp
>
> Andrew Mutch
> Library Systems Technician
> Waterford Township Public Library
> Waterford, MI

Andrew Cunningham
Multilingual Technical Project Officer
Accessibility and Evaluation Unit, Vicnet
State Library of Victoria,
Australia

andrewc at vicnet.net.au