[WEB4LIB] Re: font sins-CSS

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Aug 28 09:37:36 EDT 2001

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>
> > Absolute font sizes in points, or worse in pixels, pose accessibility
> > problems and should be avoided.
>
> How do you feel the "text/zoom" function in new browsers (okay, I've
> personally only seen it in Opera, but I understand IE5/Mac and Navigator
6
> also have this function. IE6/Win???), which provides the ability to
> increase/decrease even fixed font sizes, affects this?

The versions of IE/Win that I'm aware of do not zoom fonts set with
absolute CSS properties.  Regardless, there's a qualitative difference
between me saying "Please render this font at 90% of the size it would
otherwise be" and me saying "Render this font at 9pt, and if that's bad
for you then you can resize it afterwards (of course, then you'll need to
unzoom when you go on to the next page...)".

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu