[WEB4LIB] Re: sanserif font for all browsers

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Mon Aug 27 12:57:40 EDT 2001

Andrew Mutch gets it right (I responded directly to Marc, but not to the
list), except that he means "serif" in the first instance. It's
significantly more readable (which is different than "legible") for long
passages in print form.

He's also right that I'm overstating the case for Web sites, where low
screen resolution, background colors, and other stuff might make sans
preferable, at least for short items.

For longer items, though, since the print face will be the same as the Web
face, serif still makes sense--or, as suggested, don't force a typeface;
let the user decide.

-walt crawford-