Dreamweaver site management with samba

Nancy C.M. Ross nross at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 21 11:51:13 EDT 2001

I searched the archive before sending this question.  I didn't find anything.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with using Dreamweaver's site
definition and site management features on a network using a samba
connection.  I did find one good document on the Web about how this can be
done, viz.

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/its/resources/docs/servergroup/smb/web-smb-servic
e.shtml

but I am interested in further details, if anyone has some to contribute.

It seems to me that it should be and is possible to define the author's
directory on the server as a "local" site, instead of having that as a
remote site mirrored on their local machine or other network drive.  There
would seem to be certain advantages and disadvantages to this, but I would
like to hear other people's experiences and/or foresights, if anyone has some.

We have a large public Web site and intranet, with many authors, most of
whom work on Windows desktops over a samba connection to Unix servers,
mostly SunOS.  Dreamweaver is our officially supported Web authoring
software (for those who do not want to work in text editors).  Some
librarians would like to make use of Dreamweaver site management
capabilities (they would have to define only their own directory on the
server as a "site").  We are exploring the contingencies in our environment.

To complicate matters, we use a source-target technology to publish the
authors' files into templates as the final html product.  This aspect of
our technology does not seem to affect the Dreamweaver site definition
question, however, except insofar as it puts a lot of strange looking files
and file extensions into the 'remote' and 'local' sites, if you use that
method of site definition.

I'd be very interested in anyone else's experiences or insights.

Nancy

Nancy C. M. Ross
Digital Library Development Center
The University of Chicago Library