Results on Wireless Survey of SUNY libraries so far

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Fri Apr 27 16:07:29 EDT 2001

The focus is if library will have by Fall 2001 a wireless network for patron
access.

Here are some results so far.  I have gotten 57 out a potential 65

C - community colleges; A - Arts & Sciences; H - Health Science Centers; S -
Specials/Statutory;
T - Colleges of Technology; U - University Centers

Wireless
Type	no	yes	# 	Pos.	Rate of Response
C	20	5	25	30	83.33%
F	8	5	13	13	100.00%
H	2		2	4	50.00%
S	4	5	9	9	100.00%
T	1	4	5	5	100.00%
U	2	1	3	4	75.00%
Total	37	20	57	65	87.69%
			35.09%

The table above shows a response rate overall of 87.69%.  35.09% (20) of
units will have wireless by Fall 2001.

------------------------

No Wireless	(37 units)

	Plans
Type	no	yes	Total	%
C	13	7	20	35.0%
F	3	5	8	62.5%
H	1	1	2	50.0%
S	2	2	4	50.0%
T		1	1	100.0%
U	1	1	2	50.0%
Total	20	17	37	45.9%

Of those with no wireless by Fall 2001, 45.9% (17) have plans for wireless
in the future.  Combined with the number that have wireless by Fall 2001,
potentially 64.9% of SUNY units will wireless in their libraries.

--------------------------
Lending of laptops
15 libraries with wireless by Fall 2001 lend laptops or will lend laptops.
2 libraries with no plans for wireless also lend laptops.

Here are several links to information about wireless on a few campuses:

http://www.sunyjcc.edu/jamestown/library/newsltr/83_news.html#d

http://library.geneseo.edu/info/laptops.shtml

http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/cil2001/

http://www.cobleskill.edu/personnel/its/campustechnology/vanwagenen.htm

http://www.alfredstate.edu/welcome/press_releases/04060002.html

I will have the final results as part of my presentation at SUNYLA.

___________________
Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
SUNY Morrisville College Library
E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
BillDrew.Net: http://billdrew.net/
Not Just Cows: http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
Library: http://www.morrisville.edu/library/
Wireless Librarian: http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/wireless/
Have Laptop -- Will Travel.
"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy
test.''- George W. Bush; Townsend, Tenn., Feb. 21, 2001