[WEB4LIB] Wireless Ethernet

GraceAnne A. DeCandido ladyhawk at well.com
Fri Apr 27 09:28:24 EDT 2001

You should find some links of interest in the Tech Note on
Wireless I recently updated for the Public Library
Asociation, at
http://www.pla.org/technotes/wireless2001.html
GraceAnne DeCandido (sig file below)

Michael Dargan sent an e-note on 26 Apr 01, about [WEB4LIB] Wireless Ethernet

> Our library is contemplating a new building with
> construction starting in the Fall of 2002 with completion
> probably in early 2004.  We're looking at about 48,000
> square feet and about 50 network nodes for webopacs, public,
> and staff Internet stations and printers.   (I predict this
> won't be enough).
>
> We're in the midst of a heated debate.  I think that
> wireless ethernet might well be the way to go within two
> years or so.  Others tell me that wireless ethernet is "pie
> in the sky" and that to be on the safe side we should run
> miles of Cat 5.
>
> Are there any libraries on this list who have gone wireless?
>  If so, are you glad you did?  Or not?
>
> If you reply to me off list with Yes, No, or maybe I'll
> compile the answers and will publish.  Amusing anecdotes and
> horror stories are welcome.
>
> I'm especially interested in knowing of anyone who lost his
> or her job because of choosing wireless.
>
> ---
> Michael J. Dargan                              office: 319
> 291 4496 Technical Systems Administrator
> fax: 319 291 6736 Waterloo and Cedar Falls Public Libraries
>        Waterloo, IA 50701

GraceAnne A. DeCandido
Blue Roses Consulting ~ Writing ~ Editorial ~ Web Content ~ New York City ~
ladyhawk at well.com http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html
What's Ladyhawk reading now?
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

Wizards do not lie; words are their tool and currency,
 which they dare not devalue.
 Diane Duane from The Book of Night with Moon