[WEB4LIB] Linking Access Database to Web

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Tue Apr 24 19:10:53 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, barbara wrote:
>We are hiring a consultant to aide with linking a Microsoft Access
>database to our web site. I believe he intents to utilize active server
>pages for this. I am in the process of creating my requirements document
>for this project and am concerned I will overlook a key requirement. If
>anyone could provide me with some information on this, I would greatly
>appreciate it.
>
>Thank you
>Barbara Blummer

Barbara,

Funny you should ask this.  I just got done learning Access, programming
Access, and now converting Access to HTML (all within a month).

I have no (0) advice on how to do conversion from a live (active) dataset
to HTML.

However, if your database is (fairly) static, and all you want to do is
generate a bunch of pages from it, so your local search engine can index
them, it isn't that hard.  Several people keyed in the information for a
directory of libraries into a standard MS Access table.  Then I used a
product called "DB2HTML Express" that did a realy nice conversion
extraction and conversion job.  I intend to run this quarterly or
thereabouts, so updates to the web directory are pretty current.

You can email me for more information, or you can go directly to the
vendor's site at http://www.xlinesoft.com/ , with info on the product at
http://www.xlinesoft.com/db2html/overview.htm .

I hope this helps.  I get nothing for mentioning this product.

James