[WEB4LIB] RE: Headphones -- revisited

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Apr 23 18:24:33 EDT 2001

DM> Once again, nothing personal towards anyone. But if the idea came across that
DM> I don't consider the health of those not in the greatest of health, I want to
DM> smack that down immediately. I myself am not in the greatest of health. But I
DM> have a decent immune system if for no other reason than I don't try to avoid
DM> all germs. Trying to avoid all germs and live a clean life simply doesn't
DM> work. Don't believe me? Ask Howard Hughes. :)

In fact, those who wish to check out this issue can do some research
on poliomyelitis when it was epidemic in the 1940s, 1950s, etc.  I
remember that as a kid we were taught to scrupulously wash our hands
all the time so we wouldn't catch polio and be in an iron lung or
dead. It wasn't quite as scary as the Russians attacking, but it was a
real concern as I was growing up, especially since my sister's best
friend was crippled by polio.

Anyway, later studies showed that the incidence of polio was highest
in upper class, affluent areas.  It was lowest in slums and other
poorer parts of towns and states.  Why?  Those who had dirtier
environments, less opportunity to keep things clean, perhaps less
education on the compulsive cleanliness, gradually became immune to
the viruses as their immune systems fought off low concentrations of
them.  Those who'd always been super clean were clobbered by their
first contact with the virus.

The same is true today.  Where are the worst infections, the bacteria
that are resistant to almost all (or in some cases all) antibiotics?
In hospitals.  It is a serious problem, and one of many reasons we're
counseled not to take antibiotics at every opportunity.  We all know
that "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger".  That is
particularly true for bacteria and viruses, as you can never kill ALL
of them.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA