Fw: [WEB4LIB] Re: New Acrobat Reader

Daniel Jolley djolley at gardner-webb.edu
Mon Apr 23 14:08:43 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Dowling" <tdowling at ohiolink.edu>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 9:56 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: New Acrobat Reader

> > You might be interested to know that Adobe has released a new version of
> > their Acrobat Reader.  This is version 5.0 and you can obtain it here:
> >
> > http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
> >
> > The file size has increased over version 4.0 and you'll want to
> > uninstall the old version before installing the new version to avoid
> > problems.
> >

> By the way, in the category of Mondo Bizarro bugs, Opera 5.1x will
> probably not open if you have both Acrobat Reader 5.0 and the Adobe SVG
> plug-in installed.  If you have installed the SVG plugin, you may need to
> find the file svgview.dll and delete it or rename it before you can run
> Opera 5.10 or 5.11.  Opera is aware of the bug.
>
> Thomas Dowling
> OhioLINK - Ohio Library and Information Network
> tdowling at ohiolink.edu

Opera 5.11 reportedly has a fix that takes care of this problem. Quoting
Opera's own 5.11 Change Log, this newest version "fixed crashing on startup
when having certain plugins, ie. GetRight and SVGView (which is installed
with Adobe Acrobat 5)."  From my own experience of installing Adobe Acrobat
Reader 5 and then updating from Opera 5.10 to 5.11, the fix does indeed
resolve the problem.

Dan Jolley
Systems Manager
John R. Dover Memorial Library