[WEB4LIB] RE: Headphones -- revisited

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Wed Apr 18 13:45:41 EDT 2001

"Ilene Frank (REF)" <ifrank at dudley.lib.usf.edu> said:

> Daniel, just one little thing about cleanliness and whether or not we're
> obsessed:  While some germs and bacteria might not matter to you
> personally, it could be a problem for someone with HIV, someone undergoing
> chemotherapy, someone with leukemia, etc. I'm not sure about the efficacy
> of cleaning headphones per se, but it might be worth considering the
> impact that might have on users who aren't in the greatest of health.

Okay, first off let's talk about my non-obsession with germs on a personal
basis. Number one I'm a hemophiliac, type A mild. Number two I'm Hepatitis C
positive. During the mid 80s I went through a barrage of tests and blood
drawings to make sure that I wasn't one of the hemophiliacs in America who
wound up like Ryan White and infected with HIV through blood transfusion and
whole blood products. So let's be honest, I'm VERY considerate of the impact
of germs and their impact on people's health.

What I was trying to get across is that you are NOT and CANNOT create a clean
and sterile environment in a public place. Libraries are no exceptions. If
you're going to worry about cleanliness in the library in regards to
headphones, then you're looking at the wrong thing. How many people use
headphones and you're worried about cleaning it? Now how many people use the
BOOKS in the library? Do you always clean the books after they come back? Do
you sterilize every page and clean the covers? I worked in circulation for
years before taking my current position. In my experience, I'd wash my hands
at least once an hour because they'd be filthy from handling the books.

Once again, nothing personal towards anyone. But if the idea came across that
I don't consider the health of those not in the greatest of health, I want to
smack that down immediately. I myself am not in the greatest of health. But I
have a decent immune system if for no other reason than I don't try to avoid
all germs. Trying to avoid all germs and live a clean life simply doesn't
work. Don't believe me? Ask Howard Hughes. :)

Thanks!
Dan

--
Mondai wa