Gale and proxy settings

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Mon Apr 16 12:24:30 EDT 2001

Gerri Moeller wrote:

>I don't know anything about the NT policy editor, but I have had similar
>problems when trying to restrict access to certain sites.  My problem
>was that there were additional URLS involved.  There were more URLS than
>I was able to see or find.

This is very true, although I don't recall this being the case for Gale sites,
outside of the many variants on web2.infotrac.galegroup.com.  ReferenceUSA was
particularly maddening: not only did it have an extra URL, but the screen icons
were coming from one which was completely different.

If you watch the status bar at the bottom of the screen (assuming you're using
Internet Explorer and that you have this feature turned on), you may get clues
about where it's trying to go.  You might also try looking at the page
properties.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org