announcing a new website

Laurie Sabol laurie.sabol at tufts.edu
Tue Apr 10 09:50:24 EDT 2001

I invite you to look at a new website, Child and Family News WebGuide
(http://www.cfw.tufts.edu/), designed and built by a project team
composed of librarians and child development faculty at Tufts
University.

The website, designed for students and parents, rates and reviews
research-based websites in child development, thereby reducing the
frustration that so many people encounter when they search the web. Like

many websites, it is a work in progress, and as time goes on, more sites

and subtopics will be added.

I participated in various aspects of the project development. One of my
primary roles was to teach web searching and evaluation to a class of
child development undergrads, who searched for and evaluated (based on a

checklist that we developed) on hundreds of sites. To implement this, I
collaborated closely with child development teaching faculty. Final
evaluations were conducted by specially trained child development grad
students.

I also planned and delivered an extremely rewarding -if tiring!- 1/2 day

workshop for faculty, teaching web searching, evaluation and (to a
lesser extent) integration of web-based assignments into their
curriculum.

I'm happy to answer any questions about my role, or the general
development of the site. Feel free to email me.

Laurie Sabol
Instruction Coordinator
Tisch Library at Tufts University
Medford MA 02155