[WEB4LIB] Browser simulation site?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Apr 6 14:45:26 EDT 2001

> Can someone tell me the URL for the web page that allows you to view
your
> site as it would appear in different browsers?
> Thanks in advance.
> Lynn

The service I know of was a standalone app called Browserola.  It is no
longer being developed, but there is a download available at
<URL:http://www.codo.com/browserola/default.htm>.

IMO, checking to see if a page looks right on Browser A, Browser B, and
Browser C is ultimately the wrong path to take.  There will always be a
Browser D that you didn't count on.  Instead, as Tony Barry put it on this
list last November, "Design to an html standard not to a browser."  I
would add that you may need to back away from some features in current
HTML and CSS standards to support an increasingly obsolescent generation
of browsers still seeing heavy use.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu