Librarian or Computer Expert and why have a MLS?

Masters, Gary E GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV
Wed Apr 4 13:47:50 EDT 2001

I was the Librarian at Texas A&M International University and had both a
Library degree and knowledge of computers.  However, I do not have a CS
degree, which is required at some places.  There were some very basic
concepts about databases and library use of online services that I presented
to my friends in the university computer shop the entire time I was there
and they still did not "get it."  So, we did the proxy server.  But my
student assistant knew computers and Linux very well and was the "expert."

I left that job thinking that a MLS is very important to the job, but that a
well supervised person who can do the computer stuff is what I library needs
most of the time.  The MLS is more useful in planning new services,
promoting the services that are needed and presenting a public service
attitude. Many librarians don't even know what is possible.   Also, this
person can participate in other library duties and that is a plus in a small
library.

The examples of librarians who work well with computer personnel is just
another example of how it should work everywhere.  Too many librarians look
"down their noses" at those without the MLS.  Time to get over that
attitude.  Everyone who can contribute is valuable.

Gary

Gary E. Masters
Librarian (Systems)
CDRH - FDA