New Library Building

Thomas M G Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Apr 4 13:20:55 EDT 2001

Funds for a new Library at ASU (for those in Arizona, the other ASU :-) )
have been approved and we have been asked for input concerning our new
facilities.  Suggestions for what you think is needed in a new library
systems area would be helpful (especially server area I have to expand on
that area for the team).  Some things we already have on our list are:
- near freight elevator
- lots of storage/supply space
- separate environmental controls (currently the thermostat for my office is
in a public area on the floor above)
- lots of power and telecommunications ports in all systems offices
- convenient access to mail room for deliveries, maybe directly above the
mail room on the next floor
- secured = keypad locks on doors
- server room with raised floor and separate HVAC controls, one large UPS
- separate backup server area for ITS ( we now house the university backup
server in our video library (our old server room )  this is not a server
that does backups but a server to take over in case the main campus server
goes down)
- meeting/training room
- central scanning/printing/demonstration area
- Usability testing room = divided into testing and observing areas
- large centralized workroom/student assistant area = counters/cabinets
around perimeter/sink required
- individual offices for each team member to accommodate desk, PC Desk,
visitor area, and additional work space.

Areas outside of Systems Area
- Satellite support office contiguous with Assistive Technologies are and
central main public computer area.
- Printers distributed around the building to clusters of users( not one
remote printer/copier room)
- centralized PCs on each floor for each collection
- group study rooms equipped with telecommunications (whatever it may be)
and PCs
- Classrooms/Labs fully equipped, 2 minimum,
- Seminar rooms fully equipped with ample telecommunications and power
- Auditorium/meeting room
- wiring closets = central, one per floor with full 360 degree access and
room to expand
- Wireless as well as wired/fiber ports throughout

This building may not be ready until 2007 to move in and we don't no what
direction network systems may take by then.

Thanks

Thomas Bennett

  Use The Help Desk at http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help
                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III            University Library
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 2797

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine