Good search engines functionalities for relevant and quick search results

Ray Matthews rmatthew at state.lib.ut.us
Sun Apr 1 23:54:30 EDT 2001

Stu's evaluation is very informative and I do hope that he share's his
report with the list.

While some universities and individual state agencies have chosen Inktomi
for site search and classification, the consensus that I've gathered from
state governments which have considered the Inktomi/CCE engine is that the
cost is prohibitive for larger scale projects such as statewide portals
which spider and index hundreds of thousands of pages.

The less discriminating, but more budget conscience, may want to consider
the Blue Angel Technologies' Metastar Suite and Microsoft's MS-Find-It Site
Server product for metadata harvesting projects. The state libraries of
Texas and Illinois are two that have opted for the former, and at least half
a dozen other states have chosen the MS-Find-it product for their statewide
GILS projects.

Ray Matthews
Government Information Coordinator
Utah State GILS Project