[WEB4LIB] Re: Headphones

Phalbe Henriksen phenriksen at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 20 13:53:34 EDT 2001

My replies to various comments, none of which have offended me:

1. For those of you *not* in public libraries with Gates Foundation
computers: These computers have an extension cord for the headphones and a
splitter(?) so that two headphones can be plugged in to each computer. They
require mini-plugs. We were sent 8 headphones for the four computers. We
keep these headphones plugged in all the time, and, if people don't want to
use them, they just stay at the back of the computer tables. (Therefore,
there's no handing them to patrons involved, signing them out, or even
talking about them, unless patrons ask. That's efficient for the
circulation staff.)

2. The plastic sandwich bags are to keep the *headphones* clean. It is the
responsibility of the patrons to ask for new sandwich bags if they're
concerned about cleanliness. That saves work for the circulation clerks and
keeps them from having to make decisions about when, how much, etc. And
relieves them of the burden of guilt if someone gets germs, lice, or
anything else. It also protects the material the headphones are made of.

3. The library that used the alcohol "towelettes" also gave the patron
responsibility for cleaning the headphones. If the patron didn't care, then
he/she didn't have to do anything. If they were concerned, *they* did the
work. Again, that saves work for the circulation clerks.

4. Rubbing alcohol contains a *lot* of water. I wouldn't want to wet the
headphones over and over with alcohol.

5. I consider it very bad service to respond to a patron who voices concern
about cleanliness by saying "then bring your own headphones." If a patron
has come to the library searching for information, and the best source
happens to be on the internet and includes sound, I feel as if we are under
obligation to make that resource available to the patron, whatever it
takes. (We don't require that patrons bring their own magnifying glass for
reading small print, either.)

Phalbe Henriksen