[WEB4LIB] Re: Large screen monitors for public computers

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Thu Apr 19 17:29:06 EDT 2001

It might be worth noting a little something about the "extravagance" of
Sony Trinitron 21" displays...

Dan, as far as I can tell, the only 21" display that Micronpc *sells* is a
Trinitron (a Sony tube, doubtless in a Micronpc case). At least that's what
their Web site shows as of today.

The same goes for Dell: the only 21" (20" viewable) on their Website is a
Trinitron.

I'm guessing that Sony offers Dell, Gateway, and Micron volume prices that,
combined with reliability, make them the preferred vendor for big screens.

Looking at the three most popular models of 21" display from NECX, the
"non-Trinitron" ViewSonic is all of $50 cheaper than the cheaper Sony
model.

Not that Sonys can't be higher-priced at times (and, given my experience
with durability/engineering, quite possibly worth it), but in this case
there's a good chance that you're buying a Sony-built tube whether you
think so or not. (If it says "San Diego" as the point of manufacture on the
back, I'd almost bet on it; Sony builds a lot of displays in California.)

Other than price, the only negatives about 20"-viewable (21") displays I
can think of are that they're heavy and huge. Certainly worth it where
large type is needed. (On the other hand, so-called 19" displays cost a
_lot_ less and are a _lot_ smaller...but the 21" units do offer 23% more
display space, 192 square inches compared to 156.)

(Note: you can't get away from the heavy-and-huge unless your library has a
big endowment. A 20" LCD screen will set you back a bundle, probably $3,000
or more.)

-walt crawford-