Public Web Browser and blocking chat, email etc

David Lewis lewisd at sunytccc.edu
Sat Apr 28 11:10:20 EDT 2001

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I am testing  PWB 1.2.4 combined with Dan Lester's "blacklist" to block chat and email in our reference area.  I have run into a problem with some but not all of our reference databases.

The problem occurs after retrieveing articles from Firstsearch, Expanded Academic Index, Health Reference Center, Literature Resource Center, and EBSCO Elite databases.  PWB blocks users from emailing articles to themselves while inside the database.   (PWB  actually blocks emailing articles to any address thus disabling the database article email function.)

Proquest Direct and DIALOG at CARL with similar email capabilities are not blocked by PWB.  I've looked at the blacklist and can't find any character string which would match and thus block the databases above. It also seems odd that the blocked message appears when clicking on a send button when atempting to send email.

Anyone have a suggestion?

David G. Lewis
Librarian for Technical and Electronic Information Resources
Tompkins-Cortland Community College
170 North St. P.O. Box 139
Dryden, N.Y. 13053-0139
voice   607-844-8211   x4387