Key Design Issues of a web site for a large research library setting

Blake Carver btcarver at lisnews.com
Thu Apr 26 14:57:18 EDT 2001

I am working on a presentation and I would love to hear some news ideas on
what the KEY design issues are for a large research library setting.
Do you think a large research library setting has unique issues not to be
found elsewhere?

So far I've gone at it more or less like this...
1. front end
  a. html / xhtml / xml
  b. load times / graphics / java
  c. site layout / Information achitecture

2. back end
  a. linux / unix / windows
  b. dynamic / static
     1. different Db's
  c. language choices [php, asp, perl]

Something like that, where everything discussed falls under either front end
or backend.
Most of it would focus on the front end, since when I think "DESIGN" I
usually think front end stuff.

So what are the specific Key Design Issues you can think of?

Thanks, I'll summarize for the list if I get more than a few responses.

Blake Carver
LISNews.com
http://www.lisnews.com
Librarian and Information Science News