access to electronic serials

Peter Murray PMurray at law.uconn.edu
Tue Apr 17 22:31:45 EDT 2001

--On Tuesday, April 17, 2001 5:26 AM -0700 Sue Shiel <shiel at uwo.ca>
wrote:

> What guidance can I give him in setting up this site so that
> institutional subscribers can easily access this electronic edition
> of the journal? Is password protection a problem for institutional
> access?

I would offer, "Yes" -- this is a problem for institutional access.  To
turn the question around:  if you subscribe to a database that offers
only username/password to provide access, you would have to somehow
distribute that username/password to all of your users while still
protecting it from getting published on the Internet for the world to
know.

Probably the most popular way to authorize institutions for access to
web services is by IP address authentication.  With most web servers,
setting up IP address authorizations is just as easy as
username/password pairs.  I suspect the continuing maintenance for IP
addresses (subscribers with changing IP address ranges) is just as much
as with username/password pairs (forgotten passwords and monitoring of
servers to detect compromised accounts).

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut