Thanks!

Friend, Margaret margaret at mail.jefferson.lib.la.us
Tue Apr 3 16:49:25 EDT 2001

Thanks to those who sent information in answer to my request for RFPs or
specs for a web page.  I got some very helpful responses that will give our
web page group a good beginning.

I also found the related comments interesting.  We are well aware of the
drawbacks to having our web page handled by an outside source.  One of the
essential ideas was that the web page was to be designed with the capability
of library staff being able to do the necessary updating.

The reality was that political considerations led to the need for an RFP.
Our parish (county) government already had a contract with a local web page
designing company.  We were attempting to work with them but found their
$30,000 proposal incomplete (all graphic design work would be an additional
separate contract with another company!) and unresponsive to our input.  We
are using the RFP to open up the process for other responses.

Our administration is now talking about adding a full-time webmaster
position which might make the RFP process unnecessary, but our group felt
that refining our needs into an RFP would be helpful for a new webmaster to
use as a starting point as well, if that scenario works out.

Again I can't tell you how much we appreciate the help we got from members
of the list.  Thanks again!

Margaret

Margaret Friend
Reference Section Head, Jefferson Parish Library
4747 W. Napoleon Ave., Metairie, LA 70001
(504) 838-1100 X307
margaret at mail.jefferson.lib.la.us