[WEB4LIB] Regarding Job:Librarian at IBM Research

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Fri Sep 29 15:19:32 EDT 2000

The Web4Lib Advisory Board
(http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/#Administration) has consulted
on this issue and we are unanimous. The posting is appropriate given
the list policy (http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/#Policy), as the
position announcement is related to the topic of the list. To make
this painfully explicit, the policy is being amended to specifically
allow job postings for positions related to the topic of the list:

"Advertisements are not appropriate. However, a simple statement that
offers a way to follow-up for more information on a service or
product is tolerated if it accompanies a substantive message
discussing a subject appropriate to the list. Announcements of
conferences, workshops, new publications, and position openings
appropriate to the topic of the list are allowed. "

We find the arguments for not allowing postings based on the profit
or non-profit status of the poster to be unconvincing. Neither are
the conditions of employment nor the manner in which the person is
hired appropriate criteria for excluding postings. Thanks,
Roy Tennant for the Web4Lib Advisory Board (Thomas Dowling, Bernie
Sloan, and Karen Schneider)

				77 Mass Ave  Cambridge, MA   02139