More on Wireless Librarian

Stacy Pober spober at manhattan.edu
Wed Sep 27 22:37:38 EDT 2000

Am I the only neo-Luddite in the bunch that is worried about the
possible adverse health effects of the microwave radiation involved with
wireless networking?

Maybe the official story is that 'jury's still out' with regard to the
risks from both wireless LANs and cell phones, but there's already
enough evidence to give me pause.

There's an article by Charles Moore discussing this issue.  It's
available online at Macworld:
http://macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/99/12/09/

Here's a quote:
"Apple's new AirPort networking system operates in the 2.4 GHz Frequency
band at an output power of 15 dBm, while cellphones use the 800MHz to
1.9 GHz band. The power output level of cellular phones can range from
0.006 of a watt to 0.6 of a watt for handheld units and three to six
watts for portable units. 2.4 GHz is even farther into microwave
territory than the cellphone frequencies, and people will be exposed to
emissions from wireless LANs for much longer periods of time than all
but the most addicted cellphone users. Could the cumulative effect
ultimately be as bad or worse? I'd like to know before I invest in
wireless networking capability."

Other info on health effects of non-ionizing radiation can be found at
Microwave News:
http://www.microwavenews.com

I suspect this is one of those technologies where the health effects
will not be known until after most of us have become the 'guinea pigs'.
There's already plans for using wireless networking in one part of a new
library addition being constructed on our campus.  I am not happy about
this.  ("Do you need to talk to the librarian?  She's the one over there
wearing the tinfoil hat...")

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist