[WEB4LIB] Converting FrontPage 2000 to DreamWeaver 3

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Sep 27 15:22:16 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <jpurce at dwp.ci.la.ca.us>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2000 2:45 PM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Converting FrontPage 2000 to DreamWeaver 3

> Our new director wants us to redesign our web page using DreamWeaver 3.
Our old
> pages were done in FrontPage 2000, and our IT person says she's going to
have to
> redo them from scratch. FrontPage uses proprietary codes for graphics
(buttons,
> navigation bars, etc.) which DreamWeaver can't recognize. She called
DreamWeaver
> tech support, and they claimed it wouldn't work.
>
> Have any of you tried converting FrontPage to DreamWeaver? Would it be
easier
> just to start over?

This sounds just a little silly.  FP generates HTML, no?  And DreamWeaver
is capable of importing HTML, yes?  What exactly is "proprietary code for
graphics"?

If DW really cannot open a file generated by FP, try this:

  lynx -dump -source http://URL/of/FPfile.html | tidy > cleanfile.html

Lynx from http://lynx.browser.org/ and Tidy from
http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

I'll be immensely suprised if Tidy can't turn FP output into something
sensible enough for DW to open.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu