[WEB4LIB] Re: More on Wireless Librarian

Heidi.Yelk at courts.state.wi.us Heidi.Yelk at courts.state.wi.us
Wed Sep 27 10:38:09 EDT 2000

I am also interested in this aspect.  How are libraries making wireless an
option for the laptop-carrying patron?  Are NIC cards sold by the library or
university?
And on a larger scale.... could a listperson who knows the ins and outs of
networking respond to the following scenario: I envision an ideal wireless
world where a university student could outfit his/her lap with a wireless
NIC card and access the university network on campus.  Then, he/she could
also go to the local public library and using the same laptop, NIC card (and
guest login) access the public library's wireless network.  Perhaps if the
person's workplace had a wireless network, the laptop could also be used
there.  Would this be possible?  What needs to be done to make it possible?
Standardization? If all of the networks are the same "type" could this work?
Thanks,
Heidi

Heidi A. Yelk
Reference/Electronic Services Librarian