[WEB4LIB] Re: Library "Splash" pages

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Fri Sep 15 11:51:19 EDT 2000

And in the other corner from Jakob Nielsen, there's David Siegel of Creating
Killer Web Site fame, who must take some credit (or roast in hell) for the
number of splash pages out there.
Somewhere in the middle someone might point out that web pages are created
for very different purposes, with very different viewer experiences in mind.
If you intent is to inform, then "splash screens must die" is probably the
right approach. If your intent is to create a setting, mood, or style--like
the opening of a movie--then splash screens may work.
I used a splash screen on a fan site I did for reculsive fantasy author
Barry Hughart--would never think about using one on a library website.
Jerry Kuntz
Ramapo Catskill Library System
jkuntz at rcls.org