[WEB4LIB] Library "Splash" pages

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Fri Sep 15 11:07:51 EDT 2000

Hi Tami,

Although ultimately it may not be your decision, I just wanted to point out
that users tend to despise splash pages and prefer to get straight to the
information they've come for in the first place.  (And perhaps this is
particularly true with library sites?)

Jakob Nielsen's latest publication, _Designing Web Usability_, addresses
this issue directly in chapter 4:

4. Site Design

       The Home Page
       How Wide Should the Page Be?
            Home Page Width
->   Splash Screens Must Die
       The Home Page Versus Interior Pages
            Deep Linking
            Affiliates Programs

See: http://www.useit.com/jakob/webusability/

Instead, JN suggests:  "1.Place your name and logo on every page and make
the logo a link to the home page (except on the home page itself, where the
logo should not be a link: never have a link that points right back to the
current page)."

-kb